Wednesday, June 15, 2011

civilization

we all reside in self-inflicted purgatories
guided by the light coming from the fire we set
a flame
walking, rather tip toeing carefully
along a tight rope we strung tightly
eyes focused along a narrowing path
missing the grandeur and openness surrounding us
we are self-regulated rule followers reprimanded for revolting against our own rigid regulations
failures in our own eyes
inadequate visions of our own ideals
we pale in comparison when we choose to compare
unhealthy obsessions we are obsessed with
strive to suffer
self-sabotaging reigns
pay dues to those who do us wrong

we traverse through rapid waters because our feet seek sun kissed sand
hide out in caves for many days and curse the darkened scene
like pumping gas into a tank
we fill ourselves with goals
and once fulfilled    
     we     must      be     filled
a constant      draining    tank

drones of shells moving on by
flashing warns we're nearly empty
grabbing, consuming
a blind rage to obtain

we are civilization
we invented this game

3 comments:

  1. I saw this on High Existence. I've been questioning these things lately, and I thought this summed up my observations...in a beautiful, poetic way of course!

    It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks that means a lot! I submitted my work to that site on a whim and now i'll be posting more of my work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words are so beautiful. Reading them is like hearing my own thoughts bouncing off the stars.

    ReplyDelete